Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What is a Latter-day Saint?

In President Boyd K. Packers recent General Conference address entitled, Guided by the Holy Spirit, Elder Packer discusses the idea of what a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints should represent, what we believe, and what we stand for. I found this talk to be powerful and insightful to the life of a member belonging to the LDS faith.





Elder Packer explains:
 "A Latter-day Saint is quite an ordinary individual. We are now everywhere in the world, 14 millions of us. And this is only the beginning. We are taught to be in the world but not of the world (see John 17:14–19). Therefore, we live ordinary lives in ordinary families mixed with the general population.
We are taught not to lie or cheat or steal (see Exodus 20:3–17). We do not use profanity. We are positive and happy and not afraid of life.
We are “willing to mourn with those that mourn . . . and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9).
If someone is looking for a church that requires very little, this is not the one. It is not easy to be a Latter-day Saint, but in the long run it is the only course."





 I'm proud to call myself a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and am so thankful for the time that I have to help others while serving as a full-time servant of the Lord on my mission. I know that the fullness of the Gospel has been restored to the earth. We can experience all of the blessings that our Father in Heaven has in store for us by following the example of Jesus Christ and becoming a member of  His church. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true and I am so grateful for all of the many blessings that I have experienced in my life because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment